Windows 10 Will Cost Me, Right?

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 by | Filed Under: Uncategorized

Sometimes no matter how often you say something, folks just don’t quite believe you. So I guess some things really do bear repeating .  I got this response to a tip that mentioned that Windows 10 is a free upgrade. “Okay, but in the long run after I think, a year.  Windows 10 will cost money,  right?  It is not totally free, that’s what I heard. Is that true?”

windows-10-desktop-live-tiles

I’m not sure where you heard that, but it is definitely not true at all. The one year period, your thinking of is the one-year period in which the upgrade to Windows 10 is free. That year started on July 29, 2015. You have until July, 29 2016 to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10.

After that, if you want Windows 10, you’re going to have to pay for it. If you’re already taken the free upgrade option, Microsoft is NOT going to start charging you to use Windows 10. Okay? Got it? Everyone listening? You’re converting your license for your previous version of Windows to a license for Windows 10.

I’ve also talked about who is eligible for the free upgrade several times, but since I’m still getting questions, let’s go over that.

windows-10-upgrade-notice

If you have Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 already installed on your PC, you are eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10. If you’re running Windows 8, you’ll have to take the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 first.  If you have the Home version of Windows, you’ll be upgraded to the Home version. If you have Pro, you’ll be upgraded to Pro. Users of XP and Vista are not eligible for this free upgrade.  If you have a tablet running Windows RT, you can’t update to Windows 10.

Also, your PC will have to meet the technical requirements to run Windows 10.

The third question that I get almost daily is “Will Windows 10 overwrite my files?”

As long as you’re doing an upgrade and not a clean install, Windows 10 should not overwrite any of your files or programs. When I did the upgrade, not so much as a desktop icon moved. Now that doesn’t guarantee that every program you had in Windows 7 will work in Windows 10. Most Windows 8.1 programs should be fine. So, you’ll want to check the compatibility of individual programs. Also, check to see if your peripherals are supported. Many manufacturers have Windows 10 driver updates available and Windows 10 does automatically look for driver updates when you upgrade.

I would still back up all my documents, songs and photos before doing an upgrade. It’s a good practice anyway, but important before you undertake any major change to your PC. Something can always go wrong. But something can always go wrong any old day.

Bottom Line:

Windows 10 upgrades are free and they stay free.

Windows 7, 8.1 and 8 (upgraded to 8.1) PCs are the only ones eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Windows 10 does not overwrite files and programs (back up your files anyway and check program compatibility first)

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “Windows 10 Will Cost Me, Right?”

1. Michael Eidsvik says:

I appreciate the information and thank you for your input. But your article was bleeding frustration, almost anger. You seemed very annoyed having to write it. Thought you should know that it was appreciated anyway….

• cynthia says:

Michael: I’m not angry, and I hope I didn’t come off that way. I’m actually more bemused. It’s a little frustrating sometimes to have someone read something and ask the question over and over and over again.

2. Lais Grewar says:

Is Windows 10 compatible with email downloads using programme Microsoft Home and Business 2010, please?

3. jeff johnson says:

I did the upgrade from Win 8 to 10 but our computer is annoyingly slow. I would like to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install. Where can I find the Win 10 license? Thanks.

4. Kevin says:

Thanks again for the truth, the whole truth and di da, di da di da. It seems someone always has to get the wrong information. However, I’m very glad you guys (and gals) are around to tell it the way it really is!

5. Warren Adams says:

When will the final version of Windows 10 be available and will it be part of the free upgrade.

• cynthia says:

The version of Windows 10 that came out at the end of July is version released to the public. But don’t expect to see a “final” version of Windows 10. Microsoft will continue to update and change the operating system to fix any bugs that crop up and also add new features. Expect regular updates and changes for as long as the operating system is in use.

6. Joe Lowery says:

I check your tips daily and have learned a lot of useful things from them. I understand your frustration with having to repeat everything over and over. I have another question. With Windows 10 staying free, is there going to be a Windows 11 that will be charged for or will it remain Windows 10 with free periodic updates?
    Thanks, Joe

• cynthia says:

Joe: That’s the $64,000 question right now. Many experts believe this is the point where Microsoft will switch to offering free operating system upgrades to current users much in the same way Apple does. But Microsoft hasn’t announced anything yet.

7. Daniel says:

I’ve had Windows 10 installed since late November ’15, and find it ok (not great or liked, but ok). However, when I ran a backup, at the end I was told I should have a system repair disc in case of a problem with the program. Looking for info on how to create this disc, there was nothing found that was helpful in the MS help files (typical MS “geek-speak). So, exactly how do I create one of these “system repair discs” and, can I save it to an external hard drive like I do with my backups, or do I need to create it on a CD/DVD?

8. Carl says:

If I decide within 30 days after I install W10 to revert back to W7/8, will I be able to install W10 again, before 7/16 deadline, for free?

9. Carl Minnich says:

If I uninstall W10 to revert back to W7/8, can I upgrade to W10 again for free before 7/16.

10. Vernon says:

I installed Wimdows 10 on my desktop and now WordPerfect 11 will not print. What can I do to get it to print?

11. David Tucker says:

1. How do I discover (for example) whether or not a old, 16-bit CAD program (DraftChoice for Windows, version 2.0k) that I’m still using successfully with Win7Pro 32-bit will still work with Win10? The same question applies to other legacy 16-bit software from the Win3.1 through WinXP era.
    2. And, if my Win7Pro OS is 32-bit, will the upgrade to Win10 also be 32-bit (and run 16-bit software)?

12. nicos himonas says:

I have a simple question.If I format for some reason my disk after a clean installation of Windows 10 Home can I then make a new clean installation without paying anything for this,or Microsoft will not accept this even if I have an original key for the previous Windows 7 Home?

13. Bill Feeley says:

I have Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy 17 laptop. I use Bit Locker, Windows Live Mail and Classic Shell. If I up date to Windows 10 will I have to: 1. Disable Bit Locker or just suspend? 2. Find another Email client? 3. Uninstall Classic Shell and reinstall after Windows 10?
    Bill

• Molly says:

There’s a Classic Shell for Windows 10 from the same company as earlier versions. Windows 10 now works with Live Mail but some people have lost some of their folders so make sure you back up emails as well as everything else on computer.

14. JJM says:

Win 10 upgrade install will not complete. After download and accepting their license agreement it starts installation at least thru 6% completion. Later all I see is a black screen with the Window Logo in the middle. Power down and restart and it restarts as Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the message “Windows 10 couldn’t be installed” “error C1900101-20017″
    When I press TRY AGAIN, why does it have to DOWNLOAD again? Do you have a Step By Step of what should be done and seen in an upgrade from Win 7?
    I bought True Image 2016 and made a Cloned Hard Drive so that we can fully recover Win 7 operation whenever might be required.
    I am extremely disappointed in all versions of Windows after XP!!! It seems that a bunch of idiots w/o any concern for User Interface are writing this junk.

15. JJM says:

BTW – this comms is on a separate Win 7. Update – attempt # 5 – I did more closely watch the UPGRADE. Download took 25 minutes, Preparing For Installation took 18 minutes, Configuring Update took 11 minutes to get to 100%, then said Shutting Down and saw bar at bottom Loading Files, then Black Screen with Blue Windows in center of screen for past 30 minutes. Will leave alone for next couple of hours to see if anything positive develops.

• JJM says:

Continued failure – still stuck with Win 7 with same error message. Next trying to Burn ISO Image to DVD to install Win 10.

16. unkabob says:

First off.. I’m legit, kay? BUT I know a few (friends?) who have pirate versions of win7.. I read recently that MS changed their minds and said pirates welcomed.. I passed this on to my pirated buddies.. Was I correct? They said it took but I’m a bit apprehensive, not wanting to be the goat if they get ‘taken’ was I correct on this issue? Does MS allow pirated win7’s to upgrade to 10 without any repercussions?

17. Michelle says:

I upgrades from Windows to Windows 10. very smooth install. only issue wa with gateway registration program. It used to pop up off the toolbar to tell me i was regisered. after upgrade it showed as a greg error. I just uninstalled it. seems ok now. hopefully it wont crew up any gateway updates!

18. Karen Grohh says:

Your info on Windows 10 is great. Just 1 question. You state if you have Windows 8, then must upgrade to 8.1. before upping to 10. If you have 7 do you have to upgrade to 8 and then 8.1 or can you go directly from 7 to 10?