Windows 10: You’ve Got More Questions

Saturday, July 18th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Windows 10

Questions about Windows 10 are coming in so fast that it’s hard to keep up with them. I thought I’d take a break from writing our guide on Windows 10 to share what I’ve learned with our readers.

Paul wants to know: Do you know with the free upgrade to windows 10 when they download It to your computer will you have to reinstall all our programs, photos, videos etc. like you would if you installed from a disk.

David has a similar question: So, Windows 10 will install and everything you have will stay put?

windows-10-desktop-full-menu

Guys here’s the scoop. Windows 10 should not overwrite any of your files or programs with the exception of some things that are actually part of the operating system. For example, you’ll lose Windows Media Center (not Media Player, but Media Center) and the Games section in Windows 7 that contained Minesweeper and Solitaire. However you can download those games for free from the Windows Store once 10 is installed.  I’d still suggest backing up your important files, because you just never know when you’re doing any kind of large update what might happen.

Margaret has a question about multiple users: In all the Windows 10 descriptions, I’ve seen no mention of having multiple users on the computer.  My spouse and I have, and prefer, much different settings and we hope it won’t be homogenized in Windows 10.  Any idea?

Margaret, there’s no change to the ability to customize things for multiple users. In fact, there are even more options for customization like virtual desktops.

Donna asks a question I’ve answered a couple of times already, but it keeps rolling in:  I am running Windows7 home premium but I haven’t seen the little windows symbol on my taskbar for reserving my copy of Windows 10 – how do I reserve it.

windows-10-upgrade-symbol

Donna this has been an issue for several people. I wrote an article a couple of weeks ago. Click here to read. Hopefully one of the solutions offered can help you out.

I hope this has answered some of your questions.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Windows 10: You’ve Got More Questions”

1. Mark says:

My computer has 3 monitors. I’m using a program called Display Fusion to put task bars on my second and third monitors. Will Windows 10 have task bars on multiple monitors?

2. John Marsh says:

Will I be able to download W10 as an ISO, burn to disc, and then have the capability to re-install as many times as I like.

3. Michael says:

Concerning Windows 10:
    Will it effect the programs I have on Windows 7 Pro?

4. Dennis says:

If within the Win 10 free download period I have to uninstall it or format the drive for any reason will I be able to download Win 10 again for free? Or if not what about if I have a Win 7/Win 10 dual boot so that if I delete the Win 10 the remaining Win 7 would entitle me to another free download? Hope this doesn’t give you a headache.

5. Edward M. Roche says:

I have reserved Windows 10 how Do I unreserve it?
    The reason being I have Media Center with a lot of stuff on it.
    I don’t know how to move it.

6. Larry Cooper says:

I don’t get the windows icon on my task bar to reserve Windows 10. I have the updates that you identify as a requirement. When I run the script that you suggest, I get a continuous loop. What next?

7. Debbie B. says:

I’m using Windows 7 and am happy with it. Should I be considering the download for Windows 10? Not sure what to do?

8. Bob Carter says:

If I install Windows 10 over my current Windows 7, will this also fix possibly corrupted files in my OS or Registry? Thanks.

• cynthia says:

If the corrupted file is part of your OS, it will be overwritten by the new OS. However, a corrupted file could cause you a problem with the installation.

9. Gregg Clester says:

If I upgrade to windows 10, what will happen after the free year? Will I have to buy (or lease) the system at that time?

10. Michael Sheehan says:

I downloaded Windows10 and can’t seem to find my pictures, music or files. Did I do something wrong or am I looking in the wrong place?