Windows 7 Memory Diagnostics Utility

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 by | Filed Under: System Tune-Up Help, Uncategorized

If you suspect that your computer has a memory issue, but it’s not being detected automatically, it’s best to make use of the Windows Memory Diagnostics utility that’s built-in to Windows 7.

Here’s how to access it:

Click Start, and in the Search Box type mdsched.exe. You can then either hit the Enter key or click the mdsched icon that appears in the search results above.

The window that pops up will ask you if you want to run the memory diagnostic now or when you next restart your computer. Make sure if you choose to run it now that all of your work has been saved.

Whichever option you click, eventually you’ll end up at a screen that looks like this:

It will take a few minutes for the utility to complete the test. When it’s done, your computer will restart automatically.

…and hopefully you’ll see this message in the bottom-right corner when Windows is fully booted.

If not, you may want to call tech support.

~Andrew

Tags:

6 Responses to “Windows 7 Memory Diagnostics Utility”

1. JAMES R BARUFALDI says:

Andrew, I may not write all the time but I do read all your tips. I find
    tips on Windows 7 excellent and would like to see more of them. Even in a viedio format like Steve and Gary do…………remember SHOW AND TELL? Well thanks
    again for doing an excellent job. Much appreciation JAMES R

2. Michael Harding says:

Unable to locate ‘Rate this Tip’ panel/pane for this tip which is worth a ‘5.’

Cheers

Michael Harding

3. EDDIE A says:

GREAT INFORMATION AS ALWAYS. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. EDDIE A IN FLORIDA

4. Shirley Webler says:

Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic Utility, is a real money saver.
    In Windows 7 you’ll notice down on the Right side of the Task bar by the clock you’ll see a White Flag. Its called the Action Center. If you hover your mouse over the flag it will tell you if there are any issues with your computer… MINE DID! it told me to run the Memory Diagnostic Utility, after it ran, it told me I had a memory problem.. So I have a warrenty on my PC, I droped it off at the shop, told them what my PC told me, it got fixed over the weekend, and guess what it was a MEMORY STICK that had gone bad.. The utility had told me correctly what my PCs problem was.

5. Leila Wilson says:

Good tip but unfortunately I only have Windows XP so am not able to find out if I have a memory issue though I suspect I may well have. Thank you for the continuing excellent service you provide on a daily basis.

6. jim says:

just installed yesterday from your tip.the icon didn’t appear in the task bar and my laptop takes FOREVER now to boot!!! how do i get rid of this. some of the other tips have been used and i thank you for them.
    jim