Windows 8 Users Ignoring The Apps

Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 by | Filed Under: Windows 8

If you are a Windows 8 user, the results of a new study by Soluto probably won’t surprise you. They found that most people using Windows 8 rarely touch the Metro apps. Which doesn’t seem to be particularly good news for a system with an interface built around apps.

Soluto looked at almost 11,ooo Windows 8 devices and found out that the majority of users don’t open modern-style apps on a daily basis. It didn’t matter if they were using a traditional PC or a touchscreen device. Most people avoided the apps.

Even people who own Windows tablets, the devices for which Windows 8 was designed, seem to be avoiding the apps. Only 56 percent of tablet users bothered to open a Windows 8 app on a daily basis. Although tablet and touchscreen computer owners do open the apps twice as much as traditional desktop users, they still aren’t opening them very much at all.

I have a Surface Pro, and I’ll admit I usually just tap the tile to head to the traditional desktop when I log on. The Windows store doesn’t offer many apps I’d open on a daily basis such as Words With Friends, My Fitness Pal and Instagram. And for things like Facebook, I actually prefer to go to Internet Explorer as opposed to using the app, because I have better functionality. And it’s just more convenient for me to stay in desktop mode where I can use Word and other traditional Windows programs.

I actually really do like Windows 8. I’ve never had a computer as stable as this Surface tablet and it is super-fast. I just can’t quite figure out what I’m supposed to do with the apps. It could be just because I’m lazy and as long as I can function fine without them, I’m not particularly interested in exploring new things.

Do you have Windows 8? And if you do, do you use the apps regularly or head straight to the desktop?

6 Responses to “Windows 8 Users Ignoring The Apps”

1. Carole Szepesi says:

I have a Win8 computer, and no, I do not use the apps. When I want to use apps, I use them on my iPad or my iPhone. I don’t find any of the apps on my Win8 pc are of interest to me. I head straight to my desktop each time I log on to my pc.

2. Elsie says:

I do not use any of the apps. I hate them and resent them taking up space. I keep my pc sit to go to my desktop everytime it comes on. The great majority of people who want that stull have IPads, IPhones, ect for all that stuff. The rest of us have a computer for important stuff like Word, Worksheet, (which Windows 8 doesn’t even have ) documents and the internet. I am not happy with Windows * at all. But I didn’t have a choice did I?

3. Frank says:

Now I know why MS screwed up the operating system with this left handed, Chinese oriented Windows 8. It was to help the PDA people to go back and forth. I have operated computers under all systems since version 1.1 and prefer anyone of them to this useless and confusing OS. I have been since the 13th of May trying to get to where I can set down, check e-mail and FB and then do some writing. I still takes a couple hours out of the day just to tell the OS to shut up and let me get something done. I have the XP start button, and that help some, but I usually wind up back on my XP Pro desk top to get things done. If I wanted a game machine there are some top notch ones on the market, they need to take a hint from Coca Cola’s “New Cole Mistake” and furnish a free OS downgrade of “Windows 8 Classic”. I love your offer on the 1 Terra byte router drive. When I started on computers, there wasn’t that much memory on all the computers in the USA combined. I typed this on an HP Pavillion with Windows 8 and it took me 20 minutes due the the quirks of the computer and OS. They need an App that would jab them in the butt every time you click it.

4. Robert Wilson says:

Don’t use them either. Wish they’d just kept the desktop!!!

5. MJ Combs says:

The apps don’t function as well. You can’t do as much with them as you can in desktop mode.

6. jacqueline millan says:

i go immediately to the traditional desktop.