looking for freeware

Word Processing Options In Windows 10

Monday, October 5th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Free Downloads, MS Office Help, MS Word, Windows 10

Marie is looking for a word processing program in Windows 10. “I just bought an HP laptop with Windows 10 on it and to my surprise I do not see a program to create word documents.  I am asking if you know one i could download, free.  Also, can you suggest a program that i could install, also for free, to open the .wps files I transferred from my old computer. They were created in Microsoft Works.

Marie, there is a great little word processing program included withe Windows 10, called WordPad. For many people, it will meet all of their word processing needs.

wordpadfull

To find it, just search WordPad in the search box.

word-pad-search

Or look in All Apps under Windows Accessories.

all-apps-windows-accessorites

You could also consider heading over to Outlook.com. Set up a free Microsoft e-mail address and you’ll have access to the online app versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Not to mention free cloud storage on OneDrive.

outlook-com-office-apps

You could also download the excellent, free LibreOffice suite.  I think you’ll find that LibreOffice Writer is more than up to the task of handing your documents.

start_window

If you have a Google account, there’s also the option of using Google Docs. Though, of all the option, that is probably my least favorite.

One of these choices should fit the bill.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Word Processing Options In Windows 10”

1. JJM says:

What about OpenOffice.org? Haven’t used it in a couple of years but rather than purchase another MS Office I had my son install the free version of OpenOffice for Word, Excel, etc capabilities.

2. Patricia Eisele says:

Thank you so much for this information!

3. Mark says:

I am in the same position
    I found this HP basic computer loaded with Windows 10
    And no word processor
    I currently have an old sell Inspiron E1505 laptop with vista 7 and Microsoft word
    I have backed up all my documents on a flash drive
    Will I be able to open these documents on the new computer with Windows 10 and no Microsoft word

• cynthia says:

Have you checked for WordPad? It’s a good basic word processor and part of Windows 10. Just search for Word Pad in the search box.

4. Calvin Christian says:

I tried printing a letter in WordPad and NotePad, neither world print, I went to an e-mail program and pasted the text in, it printed okay. I can not figure out why WordPad or NotePad will not print in Windows 10.

5. Charles Fox says:

try OPEN OFFICE. Free download, has everything thet office has, and is fully compatable. I’ve been sing it for many years

6. Bob M says:

None of the listed substitutes will open Works files ….wps files